Saturday, July 9, 2011

I scream for Ice Cream


Because it's off limits for me and sister sue. We found out on Thursday that Nora has a dairy allergy! She had what I was calling baby acne for about a week. I was sad for her, but googled it and read about it and every website said wash with soap and water and just be patient. I just thought I needed to get over it and pray for her when she turned 15 :)

But Wednesday night, it was terrible and bumps were literally all over her face and moving up her head and around her ears. She looked awful. My mom told me, "Honey, I don't think this is acne, I think it's a rash." She was right, I made an appointment the next day and was told that it was an eczema flare up due to what he thought was a dairy allergy. Since I'm breastfeeding, that meant I needed to cut it out of my diet. This was a little shocking for me to hear, since I ate a string cheese before I walked out the door. Sadly I eat mostly dairy and carbs so I was panicking a little bit. Still am actually. I went to the grocery store and walked around with my head cut off- dairy is in EVERYTHING and I've developed quite the sweet tooth with my pregnancy. No chocolate, no butter, no cakes, no ranch, no ice cream, no CHEESE! I bought soy everything and have cut out dairy for two days so far. It's been rough, I'm not going to lie, but I am going to give it my best try. I would not do this for many people- but this little angel girl is pretty special and worth it. Poor thing was still sleeping great and even smiling through the whole thing.
Wish me luck, I'm going to need it!

2 comments:

The Dolans said...

Miller had the same thing!! I thought I was going to die!! I eat cheese or milk every meal. It was really tough the first few weeks but got better, unfortunately I found unhealthy replacements, ha! I would cheat every great once and awhile but otherwise stayed away. I couldn't keep up with him by 4.5 months and after some trial and error with formulas, Miller is on soy. Let me just tell you my first meal consisted of cheese dip and cheesecake!!:) Nora is beautiful and DF only gets cuter!!

Kate said...

amanda, we had to do this with liza too! and yes, it is a total shocker to the system. once i quit breastfeeding she went to soy formula around 6 months. my memory is very foggy but i think around the time i got off the dairy was the same time she was put on prevacid and that helped a lot with her fussiness (that is the symptom we saw not skin stuff)
i do remember chanting to myself..."people would stand in line for days to have this problem, i can do this" hahahaha...not kidding i had to say that to myself over and over.! :)
she is adorable!!!!!! hope to see you guys at molly's shower!